Tuesday, November 5, 2013

A soliloquy on fitness.

I have been running lately. Big running kick. I am slow, but I push myself to run further every time. Or longer. Or faster. One of the three.

My fastest mile is 12:42. My longest time is 34:24. My furthest distance is 2.5 miles. It may not be quick but from starting at 15:54, I have improved in speed. From starting at 12:30, I have improved in length. Starting with .4 miles, I have improved in distance.

I am proud of myself for sticking with this. It has been about 2.5 weeks and I am working to keep it up. Some days, I laze at home and watch Big Bang Theory. Most others, I am out running. I can be proud of that!

I hear lots of shaming and bashing to women who aren't fit and that breaks my heart. I hear women shame and bash themselves. Do I have a perfect body? No. No, I don't. Do I love myself regardless? Yes. Yes, I do. Will I let my imperfection stop me from doing something I enjoy? NO! You are a beauty in yourself and you have every right to be in the gym and every right to sit at home with a jar of pickles (okay, maybe that isn't the most unhealthy food but it is my favorite food and I can eat a jar a day...easy).

I truly believe that when you don't shame or bash yourself, no one is going to do it for you. I don't hear bad comments about my body. Maybe I ignore them or they are said behind my back, but I know that I am pretty, fun and passionate and if my ____ is a little ____ than yours, get over it. I know I have.

Focus on the positive. Focus on the present. Do what makes you happy.

For me, that means I will be up (in the gym, just working on my fitness) on that treadmill, running my cute little butt off. I will do jump split squats. I will make up weighted exercises to do and laugh when I look ridiculous. I am having FUN getting fit and enjoying the journey. That's what life is about, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment