Thursday, February 27, 2014

Friday Articles (5)

Obamacare stats still hard to nail down
Obamacare is here to stay
I have a close connection to the Affordable Care Act because I determine eligibility for Medicaid and Food Stamps as my job. It is so easy to say that ACA is a negative thing because it takes money from people who earned it and gives it to people who didn't. In our world, charity is commonplace and worldwide. I believe it is common human decency to offer healthcare to everyone. It breaks my heart when I have to call a client and say I'm sorry but you are not eligible for Medicaid (whatever the reason). Sometimes, people can't work legitimately but were denied social security disability or supplemental security income. Sometimes, the person is 2 years too young. Florida did not change the Medicaid standards - we voted to keep it the way it is and not take the extra government money to provide care to childless people between the ages of 21-65.

Orphans' lonely beginnings shape the brain
I remember reading and feeling heartbroken when I was 11 about orphans in other countries. I have wanted to adopt for a long time. This article doesn't attest to if conditions are different now, so I hope things are different (anyone have any insight?). This article just explains things I knew instinctually.

Vatican
I am dreaming of the Vatican. And Thailand, and Japan, and Romania, and Poland, and France, and Somalia, and the home of my heart, Malawi.

New Orleans Bars during Mardi Gras
I have a love affair with New Orleans. I want to live there. The city is so gorgeous. I love the French market (where I found a Malawian sister I spoke in Chichewa with) and Jackson Square where I bought beautiful art. I love historic, and it just is history and beauty. Love.

Ways to Save without Coupons
Paycheck Budgeting
I am big on saving lately. So this is a win.

You're Kidding, she's homeless?
More proof of the adage 'Don't judge a book by its cover.' I firmly believe that everyone is worthy of respect and I will always offer what I have to those who might not. Regardless of what I think of their situation, who am I to judge and decide how they should live, spend their money, look for jobs, eat, sleep? I am living my life in my own way and I am sure that people don't agree with how I do - I know people don't. You never know where someone is coming from until you ask them.

Buzzfeed Photoshops real women
Ugh, fascinating and horrorifying. I hate beauty ideals. I struggle to get past them; I think I mostly have but then not so long ago, I cried when thinking about getting on the scale in front of my boyfriend. It is so frustrating and degrading. At times, I feel so much shame for the way I look. It is not a good place to be. It is something I work on daily.


No comments:

Post a Comment